"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."

May 19, 2009

Nausea


Intimations of reality

Nothing has changed and yet everything is different. I can't describe it; it's like the Nausea and yet it's just the opposite: at last an adventure happens to me and when I question myself I see that it happens that I am myself and I am here; the one who splits the night, and I am as happy as the hero of a novel.

Something is going to happen: something is waiting for me in the shadow of the Rue Basse-de-Vielle, it is over there, just at the corner of this calm street that my life is going to begin. . . .

The place is full. The air is blue with cigarette smoke and steam rising from damp clothing. The cashier is at her counter. I know her well: she's red haired, as I am; she has some sort of stomach trouble. She is rotting quietly under her skirts with a melancholy smile, like the odour of violets given off by a decomposing body. A shudder goes through me; she . . . she is the one who is waiting for me. . . .

When I found myself on the Boulevard do la Redoute again nothing was left by bitter regret. I said to myself: Perhaps there is nothing in the world I cling to so much as this feeling of adventure; but it comes when it pleases; and how empty I am once it has left. Does it, ironically, pay me these short visits in order to show me that I have wasted my life?

1969 edition, pp 54-56

'Suffering is the origin of consciousness,' Dostoevsky wrote. But suffering is everywhere in the presence of thought and sensitivity. Sartre for his part has written, and with equal simplicity: 'Life begins on the other side of despair.'

-Hayden Carruth (In his "Introduction" to the American edition of Nausea.)

6 Comments:

At 7:45 AM , Blogger Zoro said...

Jean Paul created a world of unique randomness which received rave reviews among certain young French intellos, none of whom bragged about it and scarely wanted to get any closer to it than they had to. I would never be able to call the land between the en soi and the pour soi, 'glamourous'. Mostly it consisted of perillous 'essais' into a pre-cogitive universe. Essentially, JP's greatest achievement is to have given nirvana a home within post-Aristotelian thought and fucked up western philosophy.
"Another fine mess you got me into".

Z

 
At 12:19 AM , Blogger Indigobusiness said...

If you expect me to follow you, Z, you're going to have to leave a better trail of breadcrumbs. You have me at a distinct disadvantage.

I'm trying, but it feels like guessing.

Personally, I think Sarte had something important to offer, but I think he dismisses certain aspects of the nature of being that cripples the totality of his offering.

 
At 2:50 AM , Blogger Zoro said...

I wrote that those of us who took Sartre at his word, found that the existential perspective we were drawn to, turned out to be alot more hard work than the instructions on the tin. It can also be depicted by the Door's invitation to 'break on through to the other side.' Another route can be found by overriding the 'barrier cushion' called thought, naming or word that we use to refract the experience of absolute reality.

Probably as clear as mud, but hey-ho.

Z

 
At 5:23 AM , Blogger Indigobusiness said...

I can get my mind around that. Might even find a way to start an argument. But I won't. No sense refracting a refraction of absolute reality.

These concepts are fun for me, as long as you speak slowly and pronounce your words carefully.

 
At 7:19 AM , Blogger Zoro said...

Yes master.

 
At 8:02 AM , Blogger Indigobusiness said...

Wash your mouth out with soap.

No call for that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



~There is no God and we are his prophets.~

-Cormac McCarthy-
___________
_______
__




Man is superior to the stars if he lives in the power of superior wisdom. Such a person being the master over heaven and earth by means of his will is a magus and magic is not sorcery but supreme wisdom

-Paracelsus-



TERRORISM NEWS


'The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them'.....'Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac.'.....'In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act.'.....'War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.' George Orwell


war is terror



Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasaGo with God and in Good Health

photo credit: http://www.freeimages.co.uk/Powered by Blogger ---Who Links Here--- Site Feed
Site best viewed in Firefox, Mozilla or with eyes wide shut.
Free counters provided by Andale